Office of News and Information
Johns Hopkins University
901 South Bond Street, Suite 540
Baltimore, Maryland 21231
Phone: 443-287-9960 | Fax: 443-287-9920
October 26, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Dennis O'Shea
History and Overview
Almost since its inception 126 years ago, The Johns Hopkins University has offered innovative business education. Daniel Coit Gilman, the university's first president, established a tradition of opening some classes and lectures to the general public. These included the presentation of new and sometimes controversial ideas by Henry L. Gantt — class of 1880 and inventor of the Gantt Chart — who would become a major figure in the scientific management movement.
In 1916, Johns Hopkins added business and engineering courses to a separate division of the university offering collegiate-level instruction to part-time students. Energetic individuals such as Gantt fostered the growth of the new field of business administration and the concept of "working smarter" to enhance efficiency and profits. Following World War II, the Johns Hopkins program produced more CPAs than any other school in Maryland. The master of science in management science program, focusing on the application of new findings in quantitative analysis and general systems theory, became the first graduate level business degree at Johns Hopkins in 1961. This evolved into the management and economics-focused master of administrative science program, which first graduated students in 1974. By 1988, enrollment in the program had expanded rapidly. Ninety students completed the MAS program in 1979; by 1990, more than 400 MAS degrees were awarded. In 1991, concurrent with launching the master of science in business degree, other new degrees emerged: master of science programs in real estate, organization development and human resources, information and telecommunication systems for business, marketing, and finance; and a wide range of graduate certificate programs focusing on specific industries or fields. Major changes in the late 1990s were the offering of the master of business administration degree and the collaboration with other Johns Hopkins schools to offer master's/MBA programs in medical services management, biotechnology, nursing and public health.
On Dec. 4, 2006, Johns Hopkins University trustees, in response to a $50 million gift from trustee emeritus William Polk Carey, voted to establish a new business school dedicated to producing innovative leaders with broad, interdisciplinary knowledge. The new Carey Business School opened Jan. 1, 2007, continuing the Johns Hopkins tradition of bringing innovative business management programs to the ever-changing workplace.
The new MBA Fellows program creates a graduate learning experience by offering a blended format of intensive residencies and collaboration across time and space via an electronic learning community.
Another new program, the MBA in the Life Sciences, is designed for strategic decision makers in fields such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and genomics.
The Carey Business School's Leadership Development graduate certificate program, now in its 18th year, enhances leadership and career management skills in early- to mid- career minority professionals and managers.
The Edward St. John Department of Real Estate offers both full- time and part-time master's degree programs in the specialized arena of corporate real estate.
The Carey Business School also offers several specialized degree and certificate programs in conjunction with the School of Medicine (the Business of Medicine), the School of Nursing (MBA/master of science in nursing), Public Health (MBA/master of public health), and the School of Arts and Sciences (MBA/master of science in biotechnology, MBA/master of arts in communication, MBA/master of arts in government).
|Enrollment (numbers are rounded)|