PhD. in Computational Biology, BioMaPS Institute, Rutgers University, USA 2011
B.A. in Mathematics from Bard College, NY., USA 2004
2004-2005 Graduate School Fellowship: Rutgers University
2007 Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need Fellowship: Rutgers University
2007-2009 NJ Commission on Cancer Research Fellowship
2009-2010 Hosei International Fund Foreign Scholar Fellowship: Hosei University
2011 Postdoctoral Fellowship in Nanotechnology for Cancer Medicine
Breast cancer, computational modeling, agent based models, image processing, metastasis, cancer stem cells and angiogenesis
KA Norton, Z Han, AS Popel, NB Pandey. Antiangiogenic cancer drug sunitinib exhibits unexpected proangiogenic effects on endothelial cells. 2014 OncoTargets and therapy 7, 1571
KA Norton, AS Popel. An agent-based model of cancer stem cell initiated avascular tumour growth and metastasis: the effect of seeding frequency and location. 2014 Journal of The Royal Society Interface 11 (100), 20140640
K Shimizu, H Iyatomi, KA Norton, ME Celebi. Extension of automated melanoma screening for non-melanocytic skin lesions. 2014 International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology 50 (1-2), 122-130
KA Norton, AS Popel, NB Pandey. Heterogeneity of chemokine cell-surface receptor expression in triple-negative breast cancer. Am J Cancer Res 2015;5(4):1295-1307
§ Gevertz, J., Aminzare, Z., Norton, K., Perez-Velazquez, J., Volkening, A., and Rejniak, K. “Emergence Of Anti-Cancer Drug Resistance: Exploring The Importance Of The Microenvironmental Niche Via A Spatial Model.” Applications of Dynamical Systems in Biology and Medicine. Submitted.
Norton, K., Namazi, S., Barnard, N., Fujibayashi, M., Bhanot, G., Ganesan, S., Iyatomi, H., Ogawa, K., & Shinbrot, T. “Identification of Two Novel 3D Architectures of Cribirform Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Using an Automated Reconstruction Algorithm.” PLoS One. 7(9), e44011.
Norton, K., Iyatomi, H., Celebi, M.E., Ishizaki, S., Sawada, M., Suzaki, R., Kobayashi, K., Tanaka, M., & Ogawa, K. “Three-Phase General Border Detection Method for Dermoscopy Images Using Non-uniform Illumination Correction.” Skin Research and Technology, 18(3), pp. 290-300.
K. Norton, M. Wininger, G. Bhanot, S. Ganesan, N. Barnard & T. Shinbrot. 2010. “A 2D Mechanistic Model of Breast Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS) Morphology and Progression.” Journal of Theoretical Biology. 263, pp. 393-406. PMCID: PMC2839055
- “Exploring The Emergence Of Anti-Cancer Drug Resistance Through A Spatial Model.” 9th European Conference on Theoretical and Mathematical Biology, Gothenburg, Sweden. June, 2014 *Presenter: Jana Gevertz.
- “Heterogeneity of Cell Surface Receptor Numbers in Breast Cancer Cell Lines.” Safeway Breast Cancer Retreat, Mt. Washington Conference Center, Baltimore, MD. May, 2014
- “An Agent-Based Model of Cancer Stem Cell Seeding.” Biomedical Engineering Society 2013, Washington State Convention Center, Seattle, WA. Sept, 2013
- “Cancer Stem Cell Seeding in a Computational Model of Tumor Metastasis.” Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center 2013 Fellow Research Day, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, MD. May, 2013
- “Cancer Stem Cell Seeding in a Computational Model of Tumor Metastasis.” Translating the Promise of Nanoscience from Laboratory to Development, Johns Hopkins Institute for NanoBioTechnology Annual Symposium, Johns Hopkins University, MD. May, 2013
“Exploring The Emergence Of Anti-Cancer Drug Resistance Through A Spatial Model.” Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen Institute of Computational Biology, Munich, Germany. July, 2014. *Presenter: Jana Gevertz.
Hyde Park, NY