Site Home Prospective Students Returning Undergraduates Graduate Students Part-Time Students International Students
International Students Tax Information Other Administrative Offices Contact Aid Advisors Site Map

How to Apply

What Does it Cost?

Paying Your Bill





Work Opportunities

Concurrent Programs


Site Map

Application Process Eligibility Criteria Citizenship DocumentationSatisfactory Academic Progress

Application Process

To apply for federal financial aid:

1. Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at

  • School Code: E00473
  • FAFSA data typically takes 3-5 business days to reach JHU

2. If you were selected for verification by the federal processor, refer to your ISIS account for any additional documents that may be required.

3. If you are applying for federal student financial aid for the first time at Johns Hopkins University, you will need to complete the Student Aid Certification Form.

*Aid is NOT automatically renewed each year. You must file the FAFSA each year to reapply. Refer to the calendar for application deadlines.

To apply for summer federal financial aid:

Complete the summer application available online at The FAFSA for the prior fall and spring academic year must also be on file.

Note: enrollment in AS.990.892 or EN.990.892 (Summer Independent Research) is not considered to be half-time enrollment for Federal Student Aid purposes.

*To see the most up-to-date information regarding your financial aid status and billing information, please log into your ISIS account.

Did you know you could do the following in your ISIS account?

  • Check your award status
  • Accept/decline your awards
  • Check for any required documents
  • Pay your bill
  • Review your account summary

Eligibility Criteria

- Students must be enrolled or accepted into a graduate program leading to a degree or certificate.

- Students must be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen (see Citizenship Documentation below).

- Student must be enrolled at least half-time in two courses or six credits (not including audited courses) during the semesters in which they wish to borrow federal loan.

- Students must not be in default on a Federal Direct or Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, or owe a refund for a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) at any institution. Students whose loans were dismissed because of bankruptcy are considered to be in default and are not eligible for federal aid.

- Students must be registered for Selective Service (male students 18 to 25 years).

- Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. A student who is concerned about his/her course record may examine it at any time in the Registrar's Office in Garland Hall. Academic departments and program committees will inform students of their standing twice a year. If you are placed on probation, the Office of Student Financial Services will be notified. You may be allowed to retain your financial aid on a probationary basis for one semester.

Citizenship Documentation (Top)

You must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident to apply for federal student financial aid. When an applicant completes the FAFSA, the processor matches the student's name, social security number, and date of birth with the Social Security Administration database (for U.S. citizens) and with the Deparment of Homeland Security database (for eligible non-citizens). If the match with either database confirms citizenship or permanent resident status, no further documentation is required. However, if the match does not confirm the student's status, the applicant will be required to provide documentation.

One of the following is required to document U.S. citizenship:

  • A copy of a birth certificate showing the student was born in the United States.
  • A copy of a U.S. Passport
  • A State Department document showing birth of a U.S. citizen abroad (FS240, FS545, DS1350)
  • A certificate of citizenship through a U.S. parent (N560, N561)
  • A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570)

One of the following is required to document status as a U.S. permanent resident:

  • A Permanent Resident Card (formerly Resident Alien Card) - I-551 (older version I-151 should have been replaced with I-551 but may be accepted)
  • An I-94 document that has been stamped "processed for I-551" and has an expiration date valid through the academic year

Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements (Top)

For continuation of federal student financial aid, you must be making satisfactory academic progress toward your degree as defined by the University's academic standards. A full-time graduate student must be determined to be in academic good standing following an annual departmental review.



HomeProspective StudentsReturning UndergradsGrad StudentsPart-Time Students
International Students
Tax InfoOther Administrative OfficesContact Aid Advisors Site Map