Students attending the academy are assigned to a Goddard researcher, enabling them to contribute to a NASA mission. Each student is hand-picked by a series of gates, panels and interviews, beginning with the Maryland Space Grant Consortium application process. The match between student and researcher (principal investigator) is done by mutual selection.
About 40 percent of the student's working time, and most of the social time, is spent as part of a group or team in plenary sessions devoted to exchanging ideas, high-level decision making, and planning and executing space missions. The remaining 60 percent of the student's time is spent in the laboratory of the selected principal investigator working on the technical project.
Eligible students should be enrolled as a junior, senior or early-level graduate student as of May 29, 1999; should have maintained a minimum B average; majored in engineering, science (physics, chemistry, biology), mathematics, computer science or other areas of interest to the space program; and be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States as of May 29.
The complete academy application is available on the Internet at http://www.nasa-academy.nasa.gov/app_info.html. The deadline for application submission is Friday, Jan. 29. Applications should be submitted to the Maryland Space Grant Consortium Office, 203 Bloomberg Center, on the Homewood campus.
Breast Health Education for Arab Women -- A breast health education program for Arab women has been initiated through the Friends of Oncology Nursing at Johns Hopkins Hospital. The educational sessions will be held twice a month on the second and fourth Friday of each month, at 3 p.m. in the Conference Room, 8th floor, Johns Hopkins Breast Center in the Outpatient Center. The Outpatient Center is located at 601 N. Caroline St. For information or to make reservations, call 410-614-2587 or 410-955-4851.
The program is specifically for Arabic-speaking women and is tailored to the needs of Arab and veiled women. An educational tape and written materials in Arabic are used, and Arab women translators are used during teaching discussions. All health care professionals interacting with the participants are women and have been specially trained in Arab culture and customs particular to veiled women. Every effort has been made to make the program sensitive to the cultural needs of Arab and veiled women.
For more information, call Eileen Meier at 202-408-7034.
Summer Research -- The Howard Hughes Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship at Johns Hopkins will award a stipend of $3,000 to up to 30 undergraduates in either the School of Arts and Sciences or the School of Engineering. Students who qualify will conduct laboratory research with a faculty sponsor. Areas of research opportunity include biology, chemistry, sociology, psychology and biomedical as well as other areas of engineering. The deadline for submitting applications is Feb. 16.
Each student should submit a completed application, letter of support from a lab sponsor, letter of recommendation from a faculty member, college transcript and a three-page proposal outlining the research project on which the student will be working during the summer.
For more information and to download an application, go to the http://www. jhu.edu/~as1/researchlink.html. Interested individuals can also pick up an application from the Office of the Associate Dean for Research, 224 Mergenthaler Hall on the Homewood campus, or call 410-516-8215.