Farewell to Merryman
The construction of Homewood's Hodson Hall begins this
summer with a rare event: the demolition of a Johns Hopkins
University building. Merryman Hall, the home of a number of
student service offices as well as the campus mail room,
custodial and audio-visual offices, will be torn down to
make way for the new classroom building.
The work is scheduled to begin on June 25
and take about three weeks.
Constructed in 1948 as a temporary
building, Merryman was first occupied by the Department of
Aeronautical Engineering and contained supersonic and
subsonic wind tunnels. It didn't receive its name, though,
until 1975, when the Aeronautics Department moved into Ames
Hall. The moniker chosen belonged to Joseph Merryman, who in
1688 became the first known owner of what is now the
Interim dean named for
Martha Hill, a Johns Hopkins faculty member for 21 years and
director of the Center for Nursing Research, has been
appointed interim dean of the School of Nursing, President
William R. Brody announced.
She will take office July 1 and will serve
until Dean Sue K. Donaldson's successor is appointed.
Donaldson is stepping down after seven years to return to
teaching and research.
In a message to faculty members announcing
the appointment, Brody noted that Hill earned her R.N.
diploma, bachelor's degree and doctorate at Johns Hopkins
and has been a member of the university faculty since 1980.
She was one of the first four faculty members hired by Dean
Carol Gray when the School of Nursing was established as an
independent division of the university in 1985. Previously,
nursing education at Hopkins had occurred within another
university school or in a hospital-based school.
The Johns Hopkins University
3003 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218