The university's security office offers the following
suggestions to help make this a safe holiday season for the
- Avoid shopping alone; try to shop with a friend or relative.
- Avoid walking in dark, isolated or unfamiliar areas. Don't
use street ATMs during this holiday period.
- Pay with check or credit cards when you can, and never
display cash openly. Carry only one or two credit cards.
- Be cautious of people asking for money or claiming to need
assistance. Do not give them money; call 911 and notify the
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look around occasionally;
look toward people who may approach you.
- Let someone know where you are going, the route you will be
taking and the approximate time you will return.
- Walk on the side of the street facing traffic, near the
curb, to avoid passing close to shrubbery, doorways and other
places where an assailant may be hiding.
Go back to Previous Page
Go to Gazette Homepage