G O L O M B' S G A M B I T S &trade
By Solomon Golomb '51
1. addiction, benediction, contradiction, interdiction, malediction, prediction, valediction
2. abduction, adduction, conduction, deduction, eduction, induction, introduction, production, reduction, subduction, transduction
3. accommodation, commendation, consolidation, degradation, depredation, elucidation, emendation, fluoridation, foundation, gradation, intimidation, inundation, invalidation, iodation, liquidation, oxidation, predation, recommendation, revalidation, sedation, trepidation, validation
4. addition, condition, edition, erudition, expedition, extradition, perdition, precondition, recondition, rendition, sedition, tradition
* The late great physicist Richard Feynman proposed "postdiction" as the task theoretical physicists endeavor to perform: Given the outcome of an experiment, come up with a theory that will postdict it. So far, this term has not been widely adopted.
** My dictionary lists "obduction" but labels it as obsolete. It lists "unconditional" but not "uncondition."
The Johns Hopkins Magazine |
901 S. Bond St. | Suite 540 |
Baltimore, MD 21231
Phone 443-287-9900 | Fax 443-287-9898 | E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org