How Counseling Can Help
If you have been sexually assaulted, we urge you to get help from SARU or the JHU Counseling Center.
The benefits may include:
- emotional support from trained and caring people who are objective and able to focus on your needs
- information on the short and long-term emotional impact of assault
- help with understanding and dealing with your feelings, including fear, isolation, anger, betrayal, self-blame or emotional withdrawal
- help in getting information and making decisions about managing physical health issues
- seeking legal and/or disciplinary consequences and coping with the process if you decide to inform the police or request University action
- managing academic pressures
- help with decisions about telling family and friends and understanding and dealing with their reactions
- help in regaining a capacity for trust and intimacy.