About The Gazette Search Back Issues Contact Us    
The newspaper of The Johns Hopkins University October 4, 2004 | Vol. 34 No. 6
FAQs On Giving to United Way

Q. What specific area does United Way of Central Maryland serve?

A. United Way of Central Maryland serves Baltimore City and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford and Howard counties.

Q. How does United Way address the community's needs?

A. United Way volunteers work with other local service groups to assess the needs in our community. After studying these needs, volunteers employ a priority system that helps them determine which programs and services to fund and at what level. They also monitor United Way-funded services on a year-round basis to ensure the community's money is spent wisely.

Q. Why should I give through payroll deduction?

A. Payroll deduction is the easiest way to contribute, and it helps United Way keep administrative costs low, so nearly all of your contribution goes to help people in need.

Q. How do I know my money is going to people who really need help?

A. Local volunteers review programs for quality and effectiveness. Volunteer involvement keeps United Way of Central Maryland efficient and accountable.

Q. How much is spent on campaign costs and overhead?

A. A force of volunteer workers helps keep United Way of Central Maryland's overhead extremely low, making it one of the most cost-effective charitable organizations to which you can contribute. In fact, by offering e-pledging, United Way of Central Maryland is able to ensure that 85.5 cents of every dollar goes directly to local agencies providing help to those who need it the most.

Q. My spouse gives to United Way ... why should I?

A. A gift from every person is important, and every person has a different reason for giving. In addition, a combined gift of $1,000 or more from you and your spouse makes you both eligible for the Leadership Society of Central Maryland and the many benefits that come with membership. Don't forget that both of your gifts are tax-deductible.

Q. Can I select just one agency to receive my contribution?

A. While the Community Safety Net is the best way to support the most people in need, United Way of Central Maryland does offer the option of donating to specific agencies (see agency directory). It also will accept donations to specific nonprofits, as long as they have missions of health and human service and are located in Central Maryland.

Q. I can't afford to give much more than a dollar or two a week. Can I really make a difference with my gift?

A. Every gift is important, no matter the size. When your gift is combined with nearly 200,000 other gifts in our community, it really adds up. As jobs change and salaries grow, we hope that people will consider giving back to our community by increasing their gifts. The needs in our community have never been greater than they are today.


The Gazette | The Johns Hopkins University | Suite 540 | 901 S. Bond St. | Baltimore, MD 21231 | 443-287-9900 |