Headlines at Hopkins: news releases from across
university Headlines
News by Topic: news releases organized by
subject News by Topic
News by School: news releases organized by the 
university's 9 schools & divisions News by School
Events Open to the Public (campus-wide) Events Open
to the Public
Blue Jay Sports: Hopkins Athletic Center Blue Jay Sports
Search News Site Search the Site

Contacting the News Staff: directory of
press officers Contacting
News Staff
Receive News Via Email (listservs) Receive News
Via Email
Resources for Journalists Resources for Journalists

Virtually Live@Hopkins: audio and video news Virtually
Hopkins in the News: news clips about Hopkins Hopkins in
the News

Faculty Experts: searchable resource organized by 
topic Faculty Experts
Faculty and Administrator Photos Faculty and
Faculty with Homepages Faculty with Homepages

JHUNIVERSE Homepage JHUniverse Homepage
Headlines at Hopkins
News Release

Office of News and Information
Johns Hopkins University
901 South Bond Street, Suite 540
Baltimore, Maryland 21231
Phone: 443-287-9960 | Fax: 443-287-9920

March 26, 2007
Media Contact: Heather Egan Stalfort
410-516-0341 ext. 17

Homewood Museum Announces
Annual Spring Symposium

Baltimore's Great Architects:
The Architecture of Maryland's Agriculture

Homewood Museum at The Johns Hopkins University, in cooperation with Hampton National Historic Site, presents the seventh edition of its annual symposium on Baltimore's Great Architects. This year's symposium, titled The Architecture of Maryland's Agriculture, will be held on Saturday, April 14, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Five distinguished speakers will address the architecture of agricultural structures that helped support the farming operations at early Baltimore's country estates.

The symposium begins at the Merrick Barn theater on the Johns Hopkins University's Homewood campus with registration and five presentations. It concludes at Hampton National Historic Site with guided tours of the estate's mansion and outbuildings. AIA and ASID members will receive five AIA/CES (3 HSW) credits for the full program with registration. Registration is free for Landmark Society members, $25 for all other museum members and students, and $30 for non-members. Pre-paid registration is required; walk-in registration is subject to availability. For information and registration, the public may call 410-516-5589, e-mail homewoodmuseum@jhu.edu, or download the symposium brochure at www.museums.jhu.edu.

Homewood Museum's 2007 Baltimore's Great Architects symposium is made possible by a generous gift from Vernon and Lucy Wright.

Symposium Program

8:30 a.m. Registration
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Welcome and opening remarks
Catherine Rogers Arthur, curator
Homewood Museum

The Lay of the Land: The Outbuildings at Homewood
Judith Proffitt, program coordinator
Homewood Museum

The Practical Farmer: The Layout of Three Maryland Farmsteads from 1750, 1800, and 1820
Melissa Blair, architectural historian
Maryland State Highway Administration

Antiquated and Influential: The Flemish and Octagonal Barns at Riversdale
Susan G. Pearl, consulting historian
Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Homewood's Barn Revisited: English and German Models for Maryland's Barns
Ken Short, architectural historian
Howard County Department of Planning

250 Years of Service and Survival: The Agricultural Outbuildings at Hampton
Vince Vaise, head ranger
Hampton National Historic Site

1 to 2:30 p.m. Tours of Merrick Barn and Homewood Museum
Lunch Break
2:30 to 3 p.m. Car Pool to Hampton National Historic Site
3 to 5 p.m. Tour of Hampton Mansion
(currently closed for renovation)
Greg Maguire, facility manager
Hampton National Historic Site

Architectural Tour of Hampton's Outbuildings
Vince Vaise, head ranger
Hampton National Historic Site

About Homewood Museum

A National Historic Landmark built in 1801 by Charles Carroll Jr. and one of the nation's best surviving examples of Federal period architecture, Homewood Museum is renowned for its elegant proportions, extravagant details, and superb collection of American decorative arts. The museum is open for guided tours on the half-hour 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 12 to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday (last tour at 3:30). It is located on the Homewood campus of The Johns Hopkins University at 3400 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, Md., 21218. For general information the public may call 410-516-5589, e-mail homewoodmuseum@jhu.edu or visit www.museums.jhu.edu.

Johns Hopkins University news releases can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/news/
   Information on automatic e-mail delivery of science and medical news releases is available at the same address.

arrow Go to Headlines@HopkinsHome Page