Rowland Work commemorated
American Physical Society past President Marvin Cohen
presents Adam Falk, the James B. Knapp Dean of the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences,
with a plaque commemorating the work of Henry A. Rowland,
founding president of the American Physical Society and
physics at Johns
Hopkins from 1875 until his death in 1901. (The department
took Rowland's name in 1991, when it moved into the new
Bloomberg Center for Physics and Astronomy.) At right is
JHU alumnus John Rigden of Washington University in St.
Louis, who is chair of the APS Historic Sites Committee.
With the presentation of the plaque, to be installed in the
Bloomberg Center, Johns Hopkins joined the APS Register of
Historic Sites; also on it are the Franklin Institute in
Philadelphia, Case Western Reserve University and Yale
University. The presentation occurred at APS' March
meeting, which was held in Baltimore.
GO TO MAY 8, 2006
TABLE OF CONTENTS.
GO TO THE GAZETTE