Undergraduate Student Handbook
Johns Hopkins University


Academic and Professional Opportunities

IntersessionStudy AbroadCombined Bachelor's/Master's
Scholarships & FellowshipsROTCSemester in D.C.Nursing

Intersession [Top]
Intersession is a period of about three weeks in January set aside for voluntary activity on the part of both faculty and students to engage in unique educational opportunities that enrich the intellectual lives of our students. Participation is encouraged but not required.

The Intersession Program at Homewood offers courses for academic exploration, experiential learning, study abroad and personal enrichment. Courses and activities are open to any Hopkins undergraduate who was enrolled in the previous fall semester. Students may earn up to 3 credits. Intersession course grading and tuition is determined by program and student status as follows:

  • Academic Exploration: 1 or 2-credit courses are offered for a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grade. The tuition cost of Homewood KSAS and WSE courses is free to undergraduates who were enrolled full-time in the previous fall semester; part-time students must pay tuition. All students must pay fees. Students who are returning from a leave of absence or were studying abroad in the fall semester may register for intersession if they pay tuition per credit hour.
  • Experiential Learning:1 or 2-credit courses are offered for a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grade. All students must pay program fees.
  • Study Abroad: 3-credit courses are offered for a letter grade. All students must pay program fees.
  • Personal Enrichment: Non-credit courses are offered through the Department of Student Development and Programming. All students must pay program fees.
  • Interdivisional Registration: Students who register for Hopkins courses outside KSAS/WSE are subject to tuition charges determined by the individual school. Weekend courses offered by the Carey Business School or the School of Education during Intersession are not accepted.

A list of offerings is published in mid-November at http://www.jhu.edu/intersession. Students register online, or in-person at the Registrar’s Office. Students should register before winter break. Students who register for research, independent study, or an internship during Intersession must have the approval signature of their faculty sponsor. Independent research and study may be completed for a letter grade if allowed by the department of the faculty sponsor. Internships are graded S/U only.

Study Abroad [Top]
A maximum of 30 credits (15 credits per semester) for work done abroad in the fall and/or spring semester may be transferred to the Hopkins academic record. Credit for study abroad in the summer is counted toward the 30 credit limit on study abroad courses accepted for transfer. If a student who had earned 30 credits for study abroad decided to go/stay abroad in the summer, the additional credits for the summer will have to be counted as transfer credits. If the student has already received 12 credits for transfer courses and 30 credits for abroad courses, no additional credit can be transferred for summer abroad work. Students may not study abroad at locations where they have citizenship or where students have completed secondary education or where they have lived and/or worked within the past eight years prior to matriculation. Students who wish to take course at universities in their home countries during the fall or spring semesters may petition the Faculty Advisory Committee for Study Abroad and should ask Dr. Citti for more information on the petition process. Students may study in their home country in the summer with permission of their advising office; however this will be counted as transfer credits.

Full credit is given for all courses completed with grades of B or better at the School of Advanced International Studies’ Bologna Center. This may exceed the 15 credit per semester limit and the 30 credit limit on the total number of study abroad credits..

Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Programs
Many departments and institutes offer undergraduates the opportunity to complete some of the requirements for a master’s degree while still working on the requirements for a bachelor’s degree. Some of these programs offer early admission to the graduate school and may enable a student to complete both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in four years. Other programs are considered five-year programs. For information on what offerings are available in a specific department, refer to the departmental entry in the Hopkins catalog.

Scholarships and Fellowships
The Office of Academic Advising helps undergraduates win national scholarships such as the Fulbright, Goldwater, and Rhodes. These scholarships can fund undergraduate and/or graduate study, international travel (including undergraduate study abroad), academic research, and public service projects. Please visit the web site at www.advising.jhu.edu for a listing of those we support. These scholarships are open to both AS and EN students.

Enrollment in the Johns Hopkins University Department of Military Science ROTC Program prepares students for full- and part-time careers in the U.S. Army and its Reserve Forces, as well as providing leadership and management skills valuable in any profession. Freshmen interested in finding out about the military profession should enroll in a Military Science course. Contact the professor of military science at (410) 516-7474 for enrollment procedures and scholarship information.

Semester in D.C.
The Aitchison Public Service Undergraduate Fellowship in Government offer students the opportunity to spend a residential semester in Washington, D.C., earning academic credits and internship experience in the nation’s capital. Fellows stay in the Boston University Washington Center in DC’s Woodley Park neighborhood, convenient to the Metrorail system and just a few blocks away from the National Zoo and other sights. Fellows attend classes taught by Hopkins faculty, and complete an internship and research project. Applications for the program are accepted in January and March for either semester of the upcoming year.

Hopkins undergraduates interested in nursing may want to consider earning the typical nursing school prerequisites during their undergraduate years. Students may want to consider the accelerated nursing program at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing after completing their undergraduate degree.